In 1981, Ronald Reagan was president of the United States, NASA launched its first space shuttle mission and a gallon of gas was $1.32. The same year, YMCA of Metropolitan Fort Worth hosted its first Turkey Trot.
To commemorate the 35th anniversary, YMCA invites the public to share birthday congratulations videos for the race’s Facebook page.
- Create a video selfie with your birthday wishes.
- Tag the Fort Worth YMCA Turkey Trot Facebook page, or post it as a comment on the race page.
- Email submissions are also welcome – send your video to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Fort Worth YMCA Turkey Trot features a 10K run, a 5K run/walk and the 1K Gobbler Trot for kids and families, and is sponsored by Moritz, Regent Services, Sprouts and Healthways. Proceeds from the 35th annual event benefit the scholarship/youth program of the Westside YMCA. Persons who wish to utilize the services of the Y but cannot afford them are given assistance based on their needs, allowing those who otherwise would not be able to participate.
All races start in front of Frost Bank at 6115 Camp Bowie at Westridge with the 1K Gobbler Trot kicking things off at 8 a.m. The 10K follows at 8:15 a.m., and the 5K begins at 8:30 a.m. All races end at Sunset and Westridge. Course maps for all three races can be found online at www.fwtrot.org.
Registration for all events is open. Register online at www.fwtrot.org until Nov. 23. Prices begin at $26 for individuals – discounts given for families and teams – with all rates increasing as the race gets closer. In-person registration also is available at Luke’s Locker in Fort Worth (2600 W. 7th St.) or Southlake (1081 E. Southlake Blvd., #160) until Nov. 23.
5K (8:30 a.m.) & 10K (8:15 a.m.) Race Fees
• Group Rate: $21/person (for a group of 8 or more) until Nov. 7
• Individual rate: $26 until Nov. 7, $29 Nov. 8-22, $31 on Nov. 23
• $36 on Nov. 24 - Race Day
1k Gobbler Trot (8 a.m.) – Non-timed
Adults running in the 5K/10K may accompany their children in the Gobbler Trot at no charge.
• $21 until Nov. 23
• $36 Nov. 24 - Race Day
Well-trained, friendly dogs on leashes - maximum 3 feet - are welcome. No dogs will be allowed in the competitive, chip-time corral.
Owners will assume responsibility for their pets. All dogs must be registered, and each dog will receive a Turkey Trot bandana while supplies last.
- $10 through Nov. 24 - Race Day
All fees are nonrefundable. Chip timing is an additional $3 and is required to be eligible to win one's age division.
Packet pickup at Luke's Locker locations in Fort Worth and Southlake will take place Nov. 16-23 during the stores' hours. Packet pickup Nov. 23 will start at 8 a.m. and close at 2 p.m. at the Southlake store and will start at 8 a.m. and end at 5 p.m. in Fort Worth.
FACTS ABOUT THE FORT WORTH YMCA TURKEY TROT
- There are more than 350 valuable volunteers who help orchestrate the annual event, more than 200 of whom give 1,000 hours on Thanksgiving morning.
- More than 1,250 gallons of water are needed to help hydrate race participants.
- Participants utilized 52,000 safety pins to affix their numbered bibs.